Sunday, July 21, 2013

Speaking on American Nations, July 23, North Haven, Maine

For the few of you out there who will be on Maine's North Haven Island this week, I'll be giving my American Nations talk Tuesday evening, July 23, at the Waterman's Center.

It's based on my most recent book, American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America, which won the 2012 Maine Literary Award for Non-Fiction and was named a Best Book of 2011 by the editors of The New Republic. For those who've read the book, I'll also be showing how the results of the 2012 election cycle comported with the regional cultures defined in the book.

The talk kicks off at 8pm and there's a $10 admission. It's co-hosted by the Waterman's Center and the North Haven Conservation Partners, who had me out on the island a couple of years ago to speak on the past, present, and future of coastal Maine, the topic of one of my earlier books, The Lobster Coast.

My next scheduled presentations on American Nations are at Miami University of Ohio later this month, but I'll be back in Maine to speak at the Maine Island Trails Association small boaters conference at the end of August.

3 comments:

  1. What is schedule for event tomorrow associated with Miami University in Ohio?
    Is the event open to the public? I live near there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @David - Unfortunately, it's not a public event, but part of a seminar for teachers of history. Hopefully they'll be a public event in future in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colin
    Thanks for the reply. I've been talking about your book to everyone who will listen (and some who won't), My heritage is both appalachian and Quaker and my wife is a Yankee so it's very interesting to have that personal material that verifies the basic concepts put forth.
    Also, being here in Ohio near the borders of several american nations allows me to experience first hand the differences between those nations.
    David

    ReplyDelete